Muffins are the ideal on-the-go fast food for today’s busy Marxist. I’ve made these using blueberries – the hardest working berry. Apparently, blueberries have been said to be beneficial in the prevention of cancer, hepatitis C, Alzheimer’s disease, strokes, heart disease, urinary infections, depression, and Capitalism. They also taste damn good.
With thanks to the guild for the generous birthday presents which contributed to these muffiny delights: KitchenAid blender and muffin tray in non-sexist pink from Babyface, and gender-inclusive ladybird kitchen timer from Billy Brentford. Thank you, brothers!
- 4 oz sugar
- 4 oz butter
- 2 free-range organic eggs (size medium, so they don’t hurt the hens’ little bottoms)
- 4 oz wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- plenty of blueberries, fresh or frozen
These quantities make around 10 muffins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together then slowly add the eggs. Mix for three minutes.
- Add the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, stir to combine, then refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight. These muffins, like the Revolution, are worth waiting for.
- Place a spoonful of muffin mixture into each muffin case, filling each to just over half way.
- Press at least eight blueberries into each muffin, then bake at 200oC for 20 minutes, or until golden on top.