You may have seen my recent post about my distaste for women in the media who reinforce phallocentric gender stereotypes through an affected over-excitement for cakes. That is of course not to say that I have anything against cakes per se: indeed, the process of lovingly labouring to create, bake and decorate a cake to be enjoyed by the masses is at the heart of any good Marxist’s home economy. All members of Thee Faction enjoy their cake-making, and Babyface in particular has been described as a bit of a master baker in his time. It just so happens, that on this occasion, the female of the band made this lovely carrot cake, and Babyface did the washing up.
- 12½ oz carrots, grated
- 2 oz pecans, chopped
- 4 oz self-raising wholemeal flour
- 4 oz plain wholemeal flour
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 8 fl oz vegetable oil
- 6 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
For the icing:
- 7 oz mascapone cheese
- 2 oz sifted icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- decorations of your choice
These quantities make a 9” round cake.
- Sieve together the self-raising flour and the plain flour with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and bicarbonate of soda. (Tip the bran bits left in the sieve into the mixture.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, and syrup. (Heat the spoon first and the syrup will slide off easily.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until it’s nice and smooth. Stir in the carrots and pecans.
- Tip the mixture into a greased, lined tin and cook at 160oC for an hour, or until cooked.
- For the topping, mix the mascapone, icing sugar, and vanilla essence until smooth.
- Allow the cake to cool and then add the topping. Decorate in a manner condusive to equality for all. Here, I’ve chosen halved pecans.
1 Loathe as I am to dictate measurements, accuracy of proportion is of course key to the success of a good cake. In this case, I have reclaimed ‘Imperial’ measurements from the Imperialist classes for the use of this system-bashing cake.